Friday, July 12, 2013

Typewriters

Apparently the Russians are returning to typewriters to keep their documents safe from cyber-spying.

This is notable because it is a very clear "step backwards" in the technology circles, rejecting new-fangled equipment because it is less secure. A recent facebook conversation revolved around the fact that ipods, facebook, and even Blogger have not even been around for more than 15 years, and yet we are so used to them all. Try to imagine if you couldn't use Blogger, or Facebook, or Youtube, or iPods, or Smartphones, or anything of that nature. It would feel like you were back in the dark ages before Tesla invented the light bulb.

Well, it would certainly shut down this blog. I would have to go back to writing all my thoughts by hand or typing them up on a typewriter (or a computer and printing them out) and nailing them to church doors. How very Lutheran. Positively medieval.

But in a sense, this would be a vast improvement. I can pontificate from my computer through my internet, posting it for millions of people to see without having to face my readers for anything I say. I have no interaction with them, not in any full sense, at least.

If I typed out my blogposts (or hand-wrote them), I guarantee you my work would be better thought out, possibly my handwriting would improve and I would have to interact with the community in a much fuller sense. It would also help to not have to scare at a screen all day.

Of course I might get excommunicated for it, but I doubt it since that doesn't happen that often any more.

So I might just have to get myself a typewriter. Maybe a nice classic one. Any suggestions?

2 comments:

Robert Gotcher said...

Underwood.

Joseph Jablonski said...

I have a portable olympiette, non-electric (fully mechanical). The problem with a fully mechanical one is that its LOUD. That's the only negative. All the positives that you list are true.

Though I don't get to use it nearly half the time I should, I actually write daily in a journal: a Moleskine, usually with a quality pen, to generate ideas. For production, the computer works best.


And, when in doubt, the computer can do a great job simulating a typewriter: http://writemonkey.com/