Sunday, February 19, 2012

Red Hat'd

Yesterday, Timothy Dolan, Archbishop of New York was made a Cardinal, princeps ecclesiae here in Rome. Well, technically, it was in the Vatican. I went to the Consistory but since I was a little late (as in half an hour early) I was only able to stand outside. It was mostly a lot of men in red parading in front of Pope Benedict and receiving birettas and rings. No big deal, right?

Wrong. It was amazing. Apostolic succession is one of my favorite things in the world, and the fact that my former archbishop is now a Cardinal is pretty swell. It seems to indicate that the Pope trusts him. Since I trust the Pope and I happen to agree with the Pope about Dolan, it's all good.

Is he papabile though? Could they make him pope? I think they could. Let us look at the Pros and Cons.

Pro: He's very friendly
Con: He's fat
Pro: He's Jolly
Con: He doesn't know Italian that well
Pro: He is popular
Con: He's not  a trained philosopher
Pro: He's is very clear on the important issues of the day
Con: He's an American and there hasn't been an American Pope in a Long Time. As in Never.
Pro: He's prayerful
Con: He's non-curial
Pro: He's the President of the USCCB and so he knows how to lead an unruly mob of apathetic ambivalent and sometimes faithful bishops.
Con: He's Irish
Pro: He seems to exude humility and Joy.

I'm seeing a clear winner.

Dolan for Pope? Maybe, but let's not forget that Benedict is still rocking the socks off the Catholic World.

No comments: